Sunday, May 2, 2010

MOVIE EDITION #1

So, I've been wanting a form of recording my thoughts on films I watch. Mostly the good ones, anyway, because after a movie I thoroughly enjoyed I always want to find someone and discuss. Too bad I don't have enough friends to do that with. HA. Anyway, this post is officially my first movie discussion/analysis/review with you, the reader. Today's film session will be centered around the Hayao Miyazaki masterpiece, Princess Mononoke.

First off I just want to say that this film is fantastic. My first impressions were actually of surprise, because I just came off the Ponyo buzz-wagon and did not expect so much gore and blood coming from a filmmaker who often caters his movies towards younger audiences. Ponyo was a serene boat ride with your newborn child, and Mononoke was a desperate chase while mounted on a wolf while covered in blood and fighting for your life, when you compare the two movies in terms of intensity. However, despite the fact that my impressions of Miyazaki's style changed dramatically, I still enjoyed it. It felt more real than his other fantasy tales, perhaps because of the constant theme of death looming over the audience. I think this was Miyazaki showing a bit of his passionate, afflicted side, because he invested so much time and detail in depicting the ravages of conflict. This movie was also a microcosm of the existence of man, from coexisting with nature to dominating it. This theme actually is quite apparent in popular culture. It goes along the view that humans are the ones who must be purged, because they have brought so much suffering to their surroundings. The Matrix brings it up, with Agent Smith comparing humans to viruses; as well as The Day the Earth Stood Still, where higher beings are sent to earth to decimate the human population to save earth. Just a few examples. This plot point is more obvious to spot than some of Miyazaki's other work, but still well executed. He veils the typical roles characters should play in this type of story with subtle injections of his unique style. Miyazaki loves creating a wide variety of characters, with no clear lines drawn between 'good' characters and 'evil' characters. He does this in many of his films, and it's a style that takes getting used to. I would watch the plot unfold, and find myself puzzled over whether I should feel sympathetic or hate towards certain characters. I think he finds a nice medium of good and evil behavior within all major characters. Nevertheless, he has clearly defined his style of animation and storytelling, and he executes with mastery. I think it's safe to state that Miyazaki aims to entrust the viewer to always keep an open mind about first impressions of characters he introduces, as in the end, it's never what you expect.

Like any typical Miyazaki film, it has a happy ending. And I think there are always some themes constant in all of his majestic tales: the power of love, the persistence of nature, and the acceptance of the fanstastic as real.

I would strongly encourage you to watch this film. It was made in the late 80's, but there's nothing unappealing to any moviegoer. Great plot, detailed characterization, visually appealing animation, it's the full package. MUST SEE.

1 comment:

  1. Kuan, Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke is one of my all time favorites. Such a beastly, powerful film. Completely caught me off guard and then blew my mind. A decent ending, yes, but you know you wish he would have gone into the forest...

    ReplyDelete